Having trouble figuring out what gift to get a loved one in a wheelchair? Need gift ideas for your wheelchair bound friend? We have some ideas that could be memorable and life changing. Besides the typical holiday gift you can get anyone, including people in wheelchairs, this list is meant for unique gift ideas that are focused on people who are disabled.
1. The gift of flying. Specifically, gliders that have hand-controls which replaced foot pedal rudders. Rides and introductory lessons have a price range of about $100 to $200. There is also a non profit organization called, Freedom's Wings International, who offer free introductory rides for people with disabilities.
2. Adaptive Skiing. Depending on your level of disability, there are several ways you can ski using different types of adaptive equipment. Most of the major ski resorts have adaptive skin programs but you have to make your reservations as early as possible. This is to ensure you have the appropriate coach and necessary equipment. Here is a great resource for adaptive skiing and sports.
3. Handicapped Scuba Diving. Currently, training programs for disabled people have a high margin of safety. Techniques which have been developed from more than 30 years, through continuous research and feedback have produced a very safe atmosphere for people with disabilities. The Handicapped Scuba Association can help their disabled students get certified.
4. Assistive Eating Utensils. Liftware is a stabilizing handle and a selection of attachments that include a soup spoon, everyday spoon, and fork. Liftware is designed to help people with hand tremor eat more easily. Place Liftware in its storage pouch, and bring it with you where you go. A full battery charge can last you through several meals, so you don’t always have to worry about bringing the charger along.
5. Folding Shower Seat. The ideal shower seat! This elegant fold down shower seat would be at home in any spa. Made of Brazilian Walnut which is up to 3 times stronger than teak, it is naturally resistant to moisture, mildew and decay. When folded it is only 3 inches thick so it is not in the way when not needed. A beautiful solution when there is little space for a permanent shower chair or for when seated is only occasionally needed. Its concealed wall mount brackets maximize the contact area and spread the weight bearing giving the SerenaSeat a 500 pound capacity! The removable back rest allows for easy cleaning.
When dealing with a physical disabilities or even a chronic illness, don't count out your loved ones in activities. They might actually enjoy and appreciate it more than the average person. Whether or not this list includes something they might be interested in or find helpful for you or your loved one, there’s still many more activities and products to explore at these websites and through a simple online search. We hope you find what you're looking for :)